HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

January 3, 2010

Unite My Heart

I think part of the reason my brain is so overwhelmed is because it is dealing with so many different things at one time. I am having to carry around with me several differents "hats," if you will, and am constantly juggling so that I might have on the right one at the right time. There have been plenty of moments this week that required my Special Hope hat; many needing my Best Friend hat; some needing my Church hat; a couple demanding my Self hat (I confess that I do currently possess a hat to be worn when I need a little "me" time). I feel that so much of my energy is being used in the switching of the hats, and even in trying to figure out how to wear more than one at a time.

While I think it's OK and even necessary to have my mind focused on different things at various times, I don't believe the same principle applies to my heart. Scripture seems to say that when it comes to the focus of my heart- there can only be one thing upon which I dwell. It is said over and over again, in so many different ways, by so many different people- but here is the passage I've been praying through today, first uttered from the mouth of David, recorded in Psalm 86...

"Unite my heart to fear your name. I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and I will glorify Your name forevermore."

In the midst of all the hat juggling, I am asking the Lord that I might keep the eyes of my heart fixed on Him and the achievement of His glory. Whatever hat I wear, at whatever moment I wear it- may the desire of my heart be to glorify the Lord Jesus. I am desperately longing to honor Him in how I use my time, as I am finding it to be a hot commodity these days, and ache to see His name made great in all that I am and do.

So, today, I sing this song (as led to do so by Maddy, my worship-leading best friend). Will you sing with me?

Give me an undivided heart
that I may fear Your Name.
Give me an undivided heart
and I'll have no other gods,
no other love,
no other gods before You.

No comments:

Post a Comment