HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

January 12, 2010

It's All for Ernie

So our dining room-office has become less and less cozy as we see the Nelsons' move-out day approaching. The Nelsons have given away/gotten rid of a lot of their things- including their dining room table where I used to sit and work. I now send all my emails while sitting in a plastic folding chair, at a plastic folding table. The only real warmth in the room is provided by the still-up Christmas tree (who is dying slowly, but surely), Zuzu the dog's slobber, and whatever yummy food Holly has made (slobber and yummy in the same sentence doesn't really work, does it?).

As a way of comforting his dear wife, and reminding us all why we are leaving everything behind to go to this even-less-comfortable-than-we-are-now country, Eric put some pictures up on the wall. For those of you imagining Eric sitting with his coloring books and markers, let me clarify that these are not pictures Eric drew, but instead ones that he took in Africa.

Where there once were family pictures and mementos adorning the Nelsons' walls and shelves, they are now photographs of African children. They are the most adorable little ones- with beautiful brown skin, dark hair, and beautiful smiles. They are all orphaned, living with an intellectual disability; some are HIV positive, some are dealing with full blown AIDS.

Can I tell you about my favorite little guy? His name is Ernie and he lives in South Africa. There is something about the look in his crossed-eyes that stirs the depths of my heart. I find myself glancing back at him throughout the day, longing to be done with the development phase of this ministry, and ready to jump into the "doing" phase. I long for the day when the emails will be put on pause, and I will simply get to hold ones just like Ernie.

As we are not yet in the "doing" phase, Ernie's little face is enough for now. It will get me through the phone calls, mailings, and meetings. I wish I could post his picture (I cannot for specific reasons) so you could see what I mean. I'm certain you would agree- he makes it all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. this warms my heart.

    i love you betchie. more than you know.

    love, mal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! I've been reading your blog and just wanted to say is has been such an encouragement to me. Plus, it's nice to see how things are coming along with SPN. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete