HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

January 20, 2010

Speaking for Those Who Cannot

One of the first things we (Special Hope Network) hope to do is to speak on behalf of orphans with intellectual disabilities. Over the past few weeks, I have gotten the chance to speak to various people (ie- friends, family, neighbors on planes, fellow waiting-roomers, church missions committees, etc) in various ways (ie- letters, emails, phone calls, random conversations, presentations, blog posts, etc :). As I have done so, God has convinced me more and more of the necessity, even imperativity* of my doing so.

While our generation seems to have no trouble speaking for ourselves, it seems we often forget to speak on behalf of others, especially those weaker than us. But perhaps, we are actually not very different than any other generation in our tendency to forget. Solomon's address in Proverbs 31 seems to suggest that his own sons, the princes of Israel (to whom he is writing) were not unlike us...

"Open your mouth for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy."

As emphasized by his repetitious words, it seems it was just as easy for people in Solomon's time to forget the weakest ones of the world. He says twice "open your mouth." The easier thing, and therefore our natural tendency is to remain silent, but Solomon commands that we speak! It is our responsibility as the people of God- we must speak for those who cannot speak, love those who are not loved, and even more defend the rights of the needy, perhaps even needy ones like this one-


He is an orphan with an intellectual disability. In this picture, he is eating one of his two weekly meals. If he continues to go uncared-for, he will most likely die of malnutrition. He has been forgotten by the world, but is deeply loved by Jesus Christ.



Will you join me in asking for a heart like God's- one that loves little guys like him? I pray that God would convict and increase my heart all the more, that I might speak His truth on behalf of orphans with disabilities. As I speak, I pray that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart would be pleasing to Him (Ps 19:14), and that to Him would be all the blessing, honor, glory, and power (Rev 5:13). Amen.

*I confess to making up words, especially ones that sound as good as "imperativity."

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading. So glad you started a blog. I can't wait to follow your journey.

    *Andy is great at making up words too. You two should compare notes :)

    ReplyDelete