HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

December 30, 2009

Does This Thing Have an Off Switch?

No seriously- can someone point me to the switch, or plug, or hibernate button on my brain? I literally don't think it has stopped thinking for the past several days, and I am afraid it might max-out at some point in the near future. I have found myself feeling incredibly overwhelmed as I have jumped back into things after some time away from Charlottesville, and realizing that my brain has not yet figured out an appropriate method of dealing with the increased level of incoming information.

For example, tonight Eric brought up the fact that we have not yet started studying Swahili, and that we will need to do that soon. At the first mention of "Swahili," my brain gave a little chuckle. Then, as Eric began to explain why we would be learning Swahili (when most people actually speak English), and how it will be helpful when working with children with intellectual disabilities who have probably only been exposed tribal languages (which can be related to Swahili)- my brain broke out into a hefty laugh. Eric stopped, and I had to explain that my brain found it humorous that he would even suggest adding such a task to the ever-growing pile.

Clearly, brain, this is not an appropriate way of dealing with things. You cannot laugh in someone's face when they suggest you learn things- especially when those things will help you to serve the ones God has called you to serve! Something is going to have to be adjusted...

Tonight, I am asking the Lord (as I have been asking all day) to increase the capacity of my mind. I am asking Him to give me wisdom about how to deal with everything He is putting before me, and for discernment to understand what is actually necessary. I don't want to be tempted into overworking my brain before I even get to Africa, but also don't want to neglect the things I need to learn before I go. So, Lord Jesus, may my thoughts be evermore obedient to You, and may I take captive and surrender those that are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment