HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

January 15, 2010

Gains and Losses

In preparing to move to Africa, I have been thinking a lot about things I will need- specifically clothes. Most of you are not surprised by this at all, as you have most likely noticed my concern for clothes. I am the girl who always likes looking a certain way- put-together, classy, with just a hint of trendy. I must honestly say that I have given a lot of thought over the past few weeks to figuring out how to surrender myself without having to surrender my style.

This post is meant to function as a white flag of sorts, as I find myself unable to justify this aspect of my life as any different than any other part. Truth is, Jesus demands I surrender it all- my clothes and my style are no exception.

But why? What's the big deal? I think this passage from Phillipians 3 has allowed me the most clarity in answering these questions...

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them rubbish that I may gain Christ and be found in Him..."

If I am to know more of Christ, and if others are to know more of Him through me- I must be willing to count all things as rubbish. I must confess that, right now, I do not feel that way about my clothes. They are precious to me because they have become part of my identity- so much that my style actually defines part of who I am.

As I realized this to be true, I became deeply disturbed. I do not want to be defined by anything but Jesus. I do not want to be known for anything but His presence in me. I do not want anything to get in the way of His increase in the world- certainly not something as silly as clothes. I want more of Jesus too much to let such a silly thing get in the way. If it means I get more of Jesus, and the world gets more of Him through me- I think I can get over it. It will certainly take time and lots of grace, but I am trusting Him who provides everything for life and godliness (2 Pet 1:3), and that the gains will eternally outweigh the losses.

PS- Though I am surrendering my clothes and style, I want to assure you I am actually still going to wear clothes. There will be change, however- as I do want to be more intentional about how I dress so that my outward appearance may better reflect the desires of my heart. Who knows, maybe it's camel hair and leather for me from here on out...(Mark 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment