HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

December 11, 2009

Let's Start at the Very Beginning- Part 4

What will I be doing?
I will be moving to Lusaka, the capital city of Zambia, a small country in Central Africa. I will be working with a faith-based organization called Special Hope Network (an IRS designated 501c3 non-profit), which was started by Eric and Holly Nelson, a couple I met at Evergreen Community Church. I originally came on part-time to help the Nelson family and Special Hope by doing development work here in Charlottesville, and have since felt wonderfully and terrifyingly compelled to partner with them in the work God is calling them to do in sub-Saharan Africa. They will be moving their family (themselves and three kids Maggie, Mollie, Sam) to Zambia this Spring, and I have asked to move with them and continue working with Special Hope. Pending approval by the Board of Directors at Special Hope, I will take on the role of Director of Operations when we arrive in Lusaka.

For how long?
I am committing to one year in Zambia. We will spend the first several months establishing ourselves in this new country and culture- learning the language, getting to know the city and its surroundings, and building relationships with people, government officials, orphanages, and churches. From there, we will focus on reaching and loving a very specific subset of people- children at risk and orphans with intellectually disability. Although I do not have much experience or knowledge in how to do this, I believe God will enable me by the power of His Spirit, and through practical training from Eric and Holly (who are significantly qualified in this area).

Who am I caring for?*
Special Hope’s mission is to address the serious inequities and insufficiencies in the care for children at risk and orphans with special needs, specifically intellectual disabilities in sub-Saharan Africa. Reports from the World Health Organization estimate that there are 15 million children who have been orphaned by the worldwide AIDS crisis, and 12 million of them live in sub-Saharan Africa. WHO also estimates that 2 out of every 10 children in the developing world are disabled physically, intellectually, or both. However, due to the fact that most of these children are not registered at birth and have no official legal status, these statistics are grossly underestimated. The reality is that these children have been forgotten by the world, not only in statistics, but more disturbingly in attention and care. Our aim is to encourage, support, and train existing programs, and provide economic solutions in order that they may better address the needs of these children within their community.
*Excerpts taken from www.specialhopenetwork.com. I encourage you to visit this incredibly informative site.

Why these orphans?
I believe that this specific subset of orphans can truly be defined as the least of the least, and therefore demand specific attention from the church, as demonstrated by Jesus’ words in Matthew 25. Most orphanages will not even consider taking in a child with and intellectual disability, and therefore their future is hugely hopeless. While I recognize this to be the current reality, I believe there is hope to be found in the way God is calling His people to act; to truly take care of these orphans in their profound affliction. I also believe, and have found in my own experience, that He is not simply calling His church to act, but is giving them grace to actually do it.
In my time working with the Nelsons, I have grown to love and be loved by their dear children, all of whom were once part of this specific orphan population. Maggie, Mollie, and Sam all have Downs syndrome and were adopted, even rescued from Brazil by Holly and Eric. Their story is a beautiful picture of God’s heart and plan for these children, whom He uniquely created in His image to display His glory.

How can you partner with me? (Maybe not so subtly: the category where I ask you for money)
There is a part I would ask you to consider in all of this: how can you, too care for the orphan in their distress? First and foremost (I actually mean this), would you consider partnering with the desire of God’s heart in this mission? Would you pray for His will to be done, so that these children might have hope for a future? Would you consider searching out more deeply God’s love for you and for the orphaned, and pray for the ability to understand it more clearly and in a way that causes you to act? Would you pray for me as I move forward into God’s call on my life, that I would do so humbly and for the glory of the Lord- that the name of Jesus may increase in this broken world?
Secondly, would you consider becoming a partner who gives financially on a monthly basis for my support? I cannot do what I feel called to do without the financial support of those whom God enables and calls to give, and so I am asking for you to consider supporting me in this practical way. I trust that God will provide all of the finances I need to do what He has asked of me, and am excited to see the way He does this through each of you. (You can give online by clicking the SHN logo at the bottom of the page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment