HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

December 11, 2009

Let's Start at the Very Beginning- Part 1

This series of posts is adapted from the Christmas Card I sent out to family and friends in 2009, and marks the beginning of what I expect to be an epic journey (I don't frequently use the word "epic," but it seems to fit given the following circumstances).

It has been six months since I graduated from dear ol’ Virginia and half a year since I walked off the lawn with my degree in Religious Studies and, even more precious, a thousand Cavalier memories. Thankfully, the end of my college career did not necessarily bring the end of my time living in Charlottesville, nor my time being a part of Evergreen Community Church. Since August, I have been living in Belmont with three dear friends (Maddy Picker, Molly Harrington, and Mollie Walker), and have been doing administrative work for our church. It has been such a delight to continue to be around such great friends and church family members, as well as my four favorite little girls- Alex, Hannah, Awbrey, and Laney (whom I have babysat for the past 2 years). I love that I am still able to go to my favorite restaurants, on my favorite walks/hikes, and continue to bask in all of Charlottesville’s glory.

And yet, at the start of the fall, something began to stir in me. What I thought was a simple case of transitioning-out-of-college blues proved to be something deeper- a profound sense of restlessness. It wasn’t that I didn’t love all that I was doing, for I really did and still do. I simply started to feel like the life I was living wasn’t actually the one I was “meant” to live. And so I began asking the questions that people my age sometimes ask themselves- what am I doing with my life, what am I passionate about, how am I to accomplish my dreams, etc. I had no idea that as I began to ask these questions, I would come across an answer that would compel everything to change… (those who know that I am really a diva at heart are not surprised by the dramatic build up of this post).

No comments:

Post a Comment