HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

August 27, 2010

Verbs, Verbs, Verbs

So this week, we have had some sickness going on in our house, and since I did not catch the bug- I have been spending a lot of time studying. I have been studying Hebrew for the past four months, and this week, I finally made it to the section on verbs. And when I say section, I actually mean an entire 2/3 of my big textbook. Apparently, there are like 2 verbs per verse in the Hebrew Bible, and so I guess that means I will be studying them from now until...well, a long time.

Now that I am learning verbs, however, I am able to do a bit more actual translating, which has been really fun. An obstacle I have come across, though- I find that when I translate, I am always tempted to rearrange things, or slightly twist them in order to make them fit the way I think they should. Don't we have the tendency to do that? To bend just a bit, or adjust only slightly so that things work the way we want them to?

I have found that while that may work for some people for some things, it just doesn't work when it comes to the Bible. For whatever reason, God chose His Word to be written in Hebrew. He chose the actual words to be just as they are. He ordered them in such a way to mean something. I don't get to decide; I don't even get to understand all the time- I just get to read.

And so read I will. Although it takes me 15 charts, about 100 flashcards, and a lexicon to do it- read I will. And study my verbs, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment