HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

June 16, 2010

Made to Be a Well

Today, our housekeeper, Amai (Mrs) Daka, sat and ate breakfast with us. Remember a couple weeks ago I asked you to pray for her, as her house had been broken into and most of her things stolen? Well, she has had a hellish couple of weeks trying to deal with all the complications, and so this morning we asked her to tell us how things were progressing.

To shorten the story- the title deed to Amai Daka’s house was amongst the items stolen, so leaving her in a very vulnerable position. Whoever it was that stole it could have her evicted, or sell the house out from under her- leaving her and her family with no place to go. In order to be protected from this, she must have the title deed reissued, and since Zambian bureaucratic affairs are not known for their speed, it has been a long, drawn-out process.

This process has also been expensive. She has had to pay all sorts of fees- most of which she had not the money to pay. God has given us the opportunity to give her the finances she needed, and she is just one step away from having the title deed in hand. She told us this morning that she will need another KW 180,000 (about $36) in order to complete the final paperwork.

I sat and talked with Eric about what to do- should we give her the rest of the money, or should we not? We talked through the potential of becoming a sort of “well” for Amai Daka- a place to go when she needs refilling, and whether or not that was a good idea. What if, in giving her everything she needs whenever she needed it we become a THE place she goes when she is in need? What if she becomes economically dependent upon us? Would that be harmful or helpful to her? And more so, would that become too burdensome for us to bear?

You could argue this all sorts of ways. But, here’s the thing- what if I was made to be a well?

What if I was given financial resources in order that I might be a place people, like Amai Daka, can go when they are in need? What if I was purposed to be a funnel of wealth unto the poor (I certainly hope that is how you, monthly supporters of mine, understand my role). What if I was created to be a well amidst a dry, dusty land where there is otherwise no water?

If this is the case- then it seems I really only have two options:
1. I pretend I am not actually a well.
2. I actually be a well.
The first option seems quite silly, huh? On top of silliness, it also seems downright dangerous when you look more closely at Scripture…
“…with the measure you use, it will be measured unto you.” Matthew 7:2
In this verse and following through His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus talks about how important it is that we treat others the way we would like to be treated. In particular- that we give the way we would hope to be given to. Further, He explains that we will be judged according to how we give, or “measure.” If I am to be a well, and do not give/measure out water to those in need, I imagine this verse implies undesirable consequences. Or as Psalm 109:16-17 would say…
“For he did not remember to show kindness…he did not delight in blessing; may it be far from him.”
I’m sure I am not only speaking for myself when I say that I desire blessing to be close to me, not far away. O, Lord, do not let me forget that I am a well. Give me the grace to choose the second option- to actually be the well you have purposed me to be, giving and measuring out whatever it is needed, whenever it is needed. Let me look to you as the true Well- the One who springs forth ‘living water’ (John 4:13-14, 7:37-38, Revelation 21:6) for those of us in need. May my roots go down deep into the spring of the water of life- that as I live in complete dependence upon the Source, I could be a well that many others, especially Amai Daka, could depend upon in turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment