HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

April 16, 2010

A Reorientation of the Run


As my mind and heart continue to process, do you mind if I take the idea 'running' and continue to, well...run with it? While I have been here in Connecticut, in this very cute beach house-

I am really feeling the thousands of miles that separate me from the precious ones God has called me to serve. I'm certainly thankful for this time of preparation, and the wonderful family who has gifted this place for us to stay. I know God is using this time- but my heart longs to be there. My heart longs to leave all of this behind. My heart longs to be with them.

You see, I am not called to run this race for myself only- as one who has been given much, much more is required of me (Luke 12:48). My understanding of Scripture (along with the contextual knowledge God has given me) leads me to believe that I am actually called to run this race with as many orphans with intellectual disabilities as possible strapped onto my back. As a member of the body of Christ, I am called to run the race for the sake of others. Taking a look at the Word and at the world around me would seem to make it my responsibility towards orphans with intellectual disabilities to pick them up, strap them on, and run the race with them-
We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Romans 15:1
This verse, and the hundreds like it, seems to instruct me more specifically how I am called to run. I am not to run for myself, nor for my own selfish pleasure (even if I do seek only that pleasure that comes with the eternal prize). I am called to run for others- specifically for the weak and needy, and even more specifically for orphans with intellectual disabilities.

For me to show up at the finish line on that last day all by myself would seem to be a significant problem in the eyes of God- it certainly seemed to be for the ones running selfishly when Jesus was around...
But woe to you, scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. Matthew 23:13
Jesus goes on to explain the details of what He meant, specifically that they had been neglecting the issues of justice, mercy, and faith. How dreadful would it be for me, too, to run hard all my days, only to find at the end that I was running in a way that did not please the Lord, and even in such a way that caused His woe to be poured out upon me?

Fellow runners, let us consider the way we run and the motives that lead us to do so. Let Him reorient our running, that we may instead run for those who cannot; for all the afflicted; for the poor and the needy (Proverbs 31:8-9)- all for the glory of Him who still sits, unchanged and unmoved, enthroned at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment