HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

October 2, 2011

God is His Father

When I first met Donald Musebo at an orphanage near our house, I didn't think much else except that he was super cute! His big, beautiful eyes were deep, but he hardly ever locked them with mine long enough to search them out. To him, I'm sure I was just another adult among the slew that walked in and out of his life all day.

The director of the orphanage had asked Special Hope to visit this little guy because it was believed that he had Autism*, and so we gave a brief synopsis to his caretakers that first day and scheduled a full assessment for later. It was in between these two meetings that God began to stir in my heart.

Verse after verse, I couldn't escape it...
He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing. Deuteronomy 10:18

Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation. Psalm 68:5

The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless. Psalm 146:9

Donald had been fatherless for over 2 years when I met him, and it showed. In the way he ignored, in the way he stared blankly, in the way he didn't care. He was fatherless and felt it.

During my time spent in the word and in prayer, God made it clear. HE was the Father of the fatherless. HE was Donald's Father.

And I was to be his mother. I was to step in for the mother who birthed him**, and mend the wear and tear those lonely years had left.

To celebrate this restoration, and to mark this new life being birthed- God whispered a name. Joab. Hebrew for "God is his father." A promise written over his life- that no matter what, he would never be left alone. That even in those lonely years, God was still there, purposing and planning every step.

Watching him grow and change over the last 9 and a half months (!) has been my utmost privilege. I love that I get to be the one to remind him of that promise, even with every call of his name. My son, His son...Joab.

Then...
























Now...


















*More on this later this week.
**Read this post about Donald's mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment