HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

May 31, 2011

Deep Deposits

As a part of a study plan I started a year ago, I'm now plowing through J.L. Dagg's Manual of Theology- a Reformed systematic theology. I am so encouraged by the very first paragraph of the text, as it has reminded and refocused my heart on why I'm doing this and how I should be doing it...
"The study of religious truth ought to be undertaken and prosecuted from a sense of duty, and with a view to the improvement of the heart. When learned, it ought not be laid on the shelf, as an object of speculation; but it should be deposited deep in the heart, where its sanctifying power ought to be felt. To study theology, for the purpose of gratifying curiosity, or preparing for a profession, is an abuse and profanation of what ought to be regarded as most holy. To learn things pertaining to God, merely for the sake of amusement, or secular advantage, or to gratify the mere love of knowledge, is to treat the Most High with contempt."
I pray that this would indeed be the end of my study, that God would use it to teach me more and more how to obey His Word, and that I would love Him all the more as He does according to His will.

Are you reading anything that is encouraging and challenging your mind lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment