HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

October 5, 2010

Mphunzitsi akukuitanani.

This phrase is problematic for numerous reasons:

1. It has way too many syllables. How in the world am I going to remember all of them, and in the right order so that I could ever use it in a conversation? It's just not gonna happen...

2. It means 'The teacher is calling on you.' If anyone were to actually say this phrase to me, it would take at least 5 minutes to sort through all the syllables in order to know that the teacher was, indeed talking to me.

3. What if the teacher really is calling on me?? What did he say? What will I say in response? What if I don't know and he says back to me 'Sindingathe kukuthandiza.' (I cannot help you.) I will surely be lost forever in an ever-deepening pit of syllabic doom.

Please pray (or should I say zikomo, pempherani)- week two of Nyanja classes is proving to be much more difficult than last. My guess is that it only goes up (in difficulty, that is) from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment