HE must increase, but i must decrease. john 3:30

March 20, 2011

He Chose Me

I have come to know so many beautiful things about adoption in the course of my life. From hearing the stories of my own mother's being adopted to now adopting my own son, and watching so many friends and family adopt in between- I have come to know it as something so intimately close to the heart of God. A beautiful glimpse of Him in this overwhelmingly mundane world- when He calls and empowers His people to step in and choose the ones who've been abandoned. To choose to give them life instead of despair. To choose them when others didn't and wouldn't. To choose them.

It was and is a privilege that God has called me to be a mother to Joab. To step in and give him life when others didn't- to choose him. I get to live it and love it each day.

But I have realized something even more beautiful about adoption- and have only just realized it as it played out right before my eyes. We were sitting in the driveway the other day, talking with a group of women who are taking our class on the basics of Special Education. These particular women are all dedicated and committed workers at an orphanage here in town, not unlike the women who worked in the place where Joab used to live. I'm sure it was a familiar scene for him- Zambian women, dressed in their brightly-colored citenges, all sitting and chatting- it was one he saw everyday for over 2 years.

I paused in my conversation with them to watch Joab more closely. He walked over to them, and grabbed a corner of a skirt, then grazed one of their hands, seemingly interested in the group. My heart fluttered for a moment, thinking that he might find them more comfortable or more familiar than me- the funny white girl sitting opposite them. But then, he walked over to where I was sitting on the pavement. He threw his arms around my shoulders and brought his face close to mine. He stared at me- and then looked back at them. And then back at me. Then this smile broke out on his face- one that told me he knew. He knew I was his. He knew I was his mama. And not only did he know it- but he agreed with it. He chose me.

I don't understand all that Joab comprehends and doesn't. But there was something in this moment that told me he understood that he was no longer alone, no longer without a family, no longer without hope. It was as if he was declaring 'no more' to the old, and 'keep it comin' to the new.

There may be a lot of beautiful things about adoption. But, oh. To witness the moment when a child realizes they're not an orphan anymore- the beauty simply overflows. Why? Because it proves God really is who He says He is. And that He does what He says He can do. He can take the old and make it new...He can take the lost and make them found...He can and does set the lonely in families. Praise God that He does. And praise God that He did and will do with my son- may Joab feel ever more secure in the hope God has set before him, and may I be continually joyous to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment